For the past week I've focused on making tiny sewn boards bindings. The binding allows the book to open with ease, so it's perfect for such small books. Even a well made case bound book can be too stiff when it's this small - you end up holding the book open with your other hand and you're still unable to use a good part of the page closest to the spine. No such problem with these tiny books!
I'm experimenting with using vintage illustrations and prints in the public domain for endpapers. This silly elephant is the first I can share (the first one I finished is still a surprise gift - more about that one later). This one measures 7,4x9,5x1,5cm / 2.9"x3.7"x0.6", but the others are even smaller!
So, if you ever need to make an elephant costume for two, now you know how! As to moving gracefully and elephant-like without seeing ahead, I have zero advice.
For the small books I'm now making I've chosen only lightweight linen fabrics keeping the overall look appropriately delicate for the size.
I used mould made paper for lining the spine and the visible edges of the cover boards. It's nice and pliable, but still strong enough for the purpose. Japanese paper is also great for this, but so far I haven't gotten round to dyeing it to my liking. I'm sure time will come for that, too.
For the rest of August my blog posts will be a little less regular as I'm taking some time off to visit Florence and enjoy the summer while it lasts. I'm also closing my shop on Sunday for a week and a half, so act quick is you have urgent book/art needs! I considered writing a bunch of blog posts ahead of time and scheduling those for you, but then I realized it probably isn't disastrous for you to go without a few posts as there won't be a week without some sign of life from me in any case. You can also find me posting photos on Instagram almost daily - follow me there to see what I'm up to!